Meet Tom Burton
I love fly fishing (fresh and salt water), golf, and spending time tending to my vegetable garden.
If I weren’t a lawyer, I would be …
a venture capitalist.
Android or iPhone?
• JD, Boston College (Order of the Coif)
• BA, Boston College
When I founded an Energy and Sustainability Practice at Mintz Levin in 2004, most law firms weren’t interested in investing in clean energy businesses. They sat back and said, “Let’s wait and see.” I’m not the type to sit and wait. I joined Mintz Levin because we have an entrepreneurial culture that encourages innovative thinking — new practices and approaches. That support has helped me take the practice to a place where, in less than 10 years, we’ve completed more than 350 transactions totaling more than $7 billion. I’ve served as counsel in the structuring and completion of more than 300 venture capital and private equity financings. We’ve raised billions of dollars. But we’ve done it one client at a time, one transaction at a time — helping companies through all stages of formation and financing. Handling exits. Managing transactions from private and public offerings to mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and technology transfer matters. We’re ready to take you as far as you can go.
Here are some of the companies I’ve helped to grow and thrive:
- Flodesign Sonics
- GreatPoint Ventures
- GreatPoint Energy
- True North Venture Partners
- New England Clean Energy Council
- Chair, Mintz Levin Energy Technology Practice
- Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law (2015 – 2016)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 United States as “rising to the fore” in energy technology for Venture Capital and Emerging Companies (2014)
- Wunder Capital: 100 People Shaping Cleantech on Twitter (2015)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Securities & Corporate Finance (2004, 2010 – 2014)
- Euromoney’s LMG Cleantech & Renewable Energy: Top 100 Lawyers in CleanTech (2013)
- Boston Business Journal: 40 Under 40 (2009)