Meet Susan Cohen
In addition to being a lawyer I’m a songwriter, singer, and guitar player, with one CD to date.
The most valuable lesson I’ve learned in business is ….
it’s about building long-term, supportive relationships.
The most unusual thing in my office is …
a collection of mementos from my Mongolian horse-trekking trip.
- JD, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
- BA, Brandeis University
New ventures are driven by talent. If your start-up’s founders or key innovators are foreign nationals and you’re committed to operating in the US market, your team’s immigration status may be your venture’s first challenge. If possible, consult immigration counsel before forming your company. Knowledgeable immigration guidance will help you move forward efficiently. After years of hosting regular office hours at MIT’s Venture Mentoring Center and being a frequent lecturer at the Institute, I’ve had the opportunity to help many young entrepreneurs find immigration solutions. I also helped the Commonwealth of Massachusetts draft the legislation that resulted in the Massachusetts Global Entrepreneur in Residence (GEIR) program, which helps universities facilitate visas for entrepreneurs. As Chair of Mintz’s Immigration Practice, I regularly work with corporate clients, founders, and individuals to obtain employment visas. Bringing more than 30 years of experience in immigration law, I’ll help you navigate the US immigration system and then connect you with MintzEdge colleagues who can help you incorporate.
Some companies I’ve helped get off the ground and grow:
- Cogito Corporation
- General Catalyst
- Chair, Mintz Levin Immigration Practice
- Irish International Immigrant Center: Solas Award (2014)
- The Global Business Magazine and the Professional Sector Network Global Awards: Immigration Adviser of the Year – Boston, USA (2018)
- Chambers Global Guide: Immigration: Business (2015 – 2018)
- International Advisory Experts: Immigration Lawyer of the Year in Massachusetts (2018)
- Lawyer Monthly – Women in Law Award: Immigration Law (2017)
- JD Supra: Top Author, Reader’s Choice Awards – Immigration (2017)
- Chambers USA: Nationwide – Immigration (2013 – 2017)
- Finance Monthly Law Awards: Immigration Lawyer of the Year USA (2017 – 2018)
- The Legal 500 United States: Recommended as a Leading Lawyer for Labor and Employment: Immigration (2013 – 2017)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Best Lawyers in America: Immigration Law (2007 – 2018)
- Finance Monthly: Short List for Corporate Immigration – USA (2014)
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly: Circle of Excellence Award (2013)
- International Who’s Who of Corporate Immigration Lawyers (2002 – 2014, 2016 – 2017)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Immigration (2004, 2008 – 2013)
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly: Women of Justice Award (2008)